Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The longest day at the clinic

I'm writing this message at the clinic. It's 2:15 and I've been sitting in this chair since 8am this morning. The total juice that I'm getting today via IV takes about 2 hours. And I still have half an hour to go on the last juice bag. My bum aches. and my disposition is edgy. I've sat here a very long time with nothing hooked up.

Last Friday I received a big ole notebook with tons of stuff in it. Detailed information about the transplant and how to proceed. I didn't get a notebook last time, just a couple pages of protocol. So I copied the protocol pages out of the notebook and carried them with me to the clinic.

But I guess writing everything down in a notebook does not mean the decisions have been made or that the system has been laid out. First thing this morning Amy came in with a bag of equipment to measure intake and output. Then she left with the bag and I haven't seen it since. She wanted me to bring the notebook. She's going to give me papers to chart all the stuff. Temperatures, fluid intake, etc.

Right now I don't even have any more appointments. Which I have told several people who should be able to do something about it. I've seen the nurse practitioner, the pharmacist twice, most every nurse and tech in the joint. And everyone has a different story. and the final story is different from what Dr. Ganguly told me last week; and from what is in the notebook.

are you confused? Imagine me sitting in this chair with a sore butt! They promise it won't be this way again...that the first day is always a scramble. I'm ready to promise to not come back. Counter productive I know: remember I'm edgy.

Mom is with me today. She has the most difficulty waiting around like this of any of my companions. Neither of us were prepared for the indecisive mood at the clinic today.

It's not different. It's just the way it is. I'm not worried about my care. Everyone is understanding and apologetic but I am edgy with TB. There is not enough chocolate to soothe this uneasy patient.

Let's see the upside. I weighed 154. Have gained 7# over the last 2 weeks. I met in person a fellow BMT traveler with whom I have corresponded since last summer when I got sick. Dr. Aljitawi stopped by to tell me I look great. My liver counts are so close to normal I wonder if we could fudge and call them normal. I have the prescriptions that I need. And it's steaming hot outside while I am inside, and fairly cool--wearing a light jacket.

And here we go again. Amy just came in and asked if I had my scrips. Yes I said, for prograf. She asked "do you have the Cellcept" I tell her no I'm not taking Cellcept. she goes to check.... sigh.

4 comments:

Walt said...

Wohoo. Pole position for Walt
So a little cheek fatigue today. Such a shame. Sit and enjoy the time to do the crossword puzzle, but being Tuesday it likely was done in 64min.
When you get them all straightened out let me know. Such a shame Robin does not work at the clinic. But a bad day at the clinic has to beat a day at the hospital.
Suck it up Cathi. You will do well in this and make it through the clinic visit. Be home on Thursday and see you then.

Dave S said...

My way of thinking is that it always was/is a cute bum. Not to mention a cute gal.

Sorry it hurts and that you are not having the best of days.

Know that we all love you and are praying for you.

Kisses

Dave

BAMc said...

Yikes! It sounds like the clinic personnel were playing the game "telephone" where the story keeps changing. I'm sure you will straighten them out.

Hang tough. Time to watch some comedy flicks. It's the grin and bear it ride.

Thanks for the updates! We're out here keeping the faith!

Word Verification: ammize
(which means somewhere between amazing and amusing)

gail said...

Cathi,

Don't know how I missed this yesterday - sorry to be a day late!

How did things go today? I hope that they were prepared for you with the checklist and you showed up with the notebook that didn't get used.

Sending big hugs!

love, gail

ps - my word is suttoce. Which is a combination of the words butt, sit, and ouch.