Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Different news today

My hemoglobin was so low today that I got a unit of blood. I haven't had a transfusion of blood or platelets for months. My platelets also dropped drastically. Ironically the white count is up. I still feel great though and gained 5# this week.

Dr Abhyankar is worried because of the 5q- that was present in that .8% of the bone marrow that was still Cathi. So we are speeding up getting off the Prograf (immune suppressant). They will check the counts again Monday. If they're still low the action speeds up even more.

If counts are low Monday we will stop the Prograf that day and do another biopsy. Then we'll be looking at a leukocyte booster from my favorite donor brother.

Nurse Amy came in and said "we're not going there yet. It could be any number of things causing this." Nurse Wendy said "Let's face it Cathi. You haven't been ordinary since you got here." Everyone is worried though. Dr. A kept shaking his head as if "dang! we were almost home."

I am reminding myself that I have a champion team treating me.
and that they have been very creative about coming up with options.
and my white count is up so I can still go out.

If I need to get my mind off the situation the physical therapist has given me enough exercises to stay busy all day if I do them all in one day, which is impossible. And I'm reading a David Sedaris book ("When You Are Engulfed in Flames") which is amusing.

~Cathi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ordinary! My friend Cathi? Never.

The gain in weight and white blood cells is good news. As you say, your team has been fantastic so far in overcoming everything this pesky disease has thrown at them. They're in my prayers as well.

I'm up early fretting because we have our quarterly global user group session today - Webex is wonderful - but what isn't so wonderful is the construction noise six feet from our conference room window. We've asked them nicely to stop work from 3-4...

Enough. Enjoy your day and don't shurk on the exercise routine.

lots of love #2 GOT

Anonymous said...

Hello, just checking in. It's busy around here, redoing the garage. New floor comes next week, and finaly gave into the glass garage door on the back. Should open it up to the pool area.
Think of you often. Sounds like you have been able to eat, any chocolate yet? ALL of the team is here for you.
Diane

Robbie Stanley said...

It doesn't come easy, does it? Just another bump in the road and your excellent team at the clinic is working on it - and they'll figure it out. It will be great when their job is done but in the mean time it's reassuring to know they're as much on the job as ever.