Wednesday, July 22, 2009

d + 23

Transplant Day plus 23.
I spent all day today at the clinic. I was only a little bit surprised this morning when Wendy called and said "we'd like to see you today because... well you know how we are...." So Robbie and I gave up our leisurely morning in our PJs and headed to the clinic. The intention, which worked out, was for Robbie to work her way down a list of errands while I hung out at Belinder and SM Parkway.

I think I had a better day than Robbie though. I was on home turf, not in a strange car, not figuring out which Costco to locate for filling scrips, finding the Apria home health care office and so forth. I was merely hanging out in a recliner, maybe holding court a little bit.

Had I felt better I would call it holding court. Everyone was glad to see me and likewise I was happy to see them. I didn't feel 100% though and that cut into the pleasure. My lungs are still squishy with fluid and that is a little bit alarming from this perspective. I am on oxygen and I have a little bit of pain, reduced to discomfort by some really good pain meds.

My counts were up. WBC 5.1. ANC 3.4. Platelets 38. Hg 6.7. However they gave me a unit of blood simply because I am having trouble with shortness of breath. So the counts are doing great. Right now what we need is a little bit of graft vs. host disease (gvhd) to solidify the graft.

When the platelets get to 50 then they will "do something" about the clots in my left arm. I'll be grateful for that too. Right now the arm is undependable and painful at odd times. All tolerable though and nothing to worry about vis a vis the blood clot. It just requires some contortions on my part to do things like move the computer to the nightstand, or take a sip from a drink on the nightstand.

Some debate this afternoon about going back to the hospital. I am uneasy when my lungs hurt like this, but my lungs have hurt terribly before during this year. Dr. Ganguly came in and said ok you've done the transplant. This is going to take some time to recover. We think you can recover better at home, but you must promise to call if ANYTHING changes. I solemnly swore on behalf of me and Robbie that we would. I remarked that Robbie had shown up in my bedroom about 1:30 am today when I coughed so I know she's a good watch guard. She corrected me later by saying it was when I groaned rolling over. It is a bit painful to roll over, to shift position at all.

We made it home with instructions to just sit still. Not the time for exercise. Robbie hauled me and my gear upstairs and here is where I will stay. This oxygen thing is kind of a big deal, coping with these machines and yards of tubing and so forth--Robbie handles it like a pro. And I feel better having it. So we've had a quiet couple of hours in the bedroom. Watching TV, putzing on the computer and gearing up our brain cells for a crossword contest.

It's a fairly self contained unit up here with a large bedroom/sitting area and attached bathroom. The main oxygen machine is positioned where I can actually get down the stairs if I need to. I have a bell to ring for help which I know works because it brought Robbie to my bedside this morning with pain pills. I also have two large windows through which I can see the outdoors, the trees, the neighbors' flowers. A nice place to be holed up.

We will go back to the clinic daily (because I know how they are.) Tomorrow's visit starts with a fresh CT Scan of my lungs. The team figures they will be drawing more fluid off in the next week or so. Meanwhile, I just take the diuretic and give thanks for the short hike to the bathroom.

I am very comfortable right now. Grateful for your thoughts and prayers. Turning all my energy to getting better.
Cathi

3 comments:

gail said...

I get pole position yet again.

You sound like you're feeling better - just being at home. I'm so glad that your med team endorses you being at home rather than in the hospital. And, I'm glad you promised to get yourself back there should something come up.

In the meantime - you are sounding great despite the tubing and the pain. The fact that your counts are so great is wonderful news! Let's get that platelet count up to 50 and you'll be feeling even better without the clots!

50 - 50 - 50. Sounds like a football chant! ha.

Sleep well!!

love, gail

wv: difenerd. The difference between being a techno-peasant and a nerd. :)

Unknown said...

So pleased you're back home. It'll make the world of difference to spend some time just hanging out with Robbie. Get that Scrabble board out!

I'm sorry your lungs are still not behaving themselves. It'll be good to have the CT scan so you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Just realised I'm not sure I know which 'home' you're at - yours or Mom & Dad's? No matter, at least you don't have to deal with that pesky hospital cleaner :)

Keep up the healing process and I'm wishing you a bit of gvhd!!
lots of love #2 GOT

Diane said...

Hi Just checking in on you. I know you are glad to be home.
You are in my thoughts and prayers every day.
Love
Diane