Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This is really boring

From my perspective, it's been an eventful day (and prior night) but this might bore y'all to death. I slept great last night. Nurse Susan kept me comfortable with pain killers and mouth numbers all night. She is my nurse again tonight so I do expect to sleep good tonight.

This morning my list of questions for the doctor included complaints about my left arm. It acts like a rotator cuff problem but is painful from time to time. Rotator cuff because I can't raise my arm. If I lift it up with my other arm I can use it over my head (like to wash my hair that has begun to fall out) but that's not always possible.

Today's nurse, Marla, was sitting in just the right angle this morning to see both arms and noticed some swelling around my elbow in my left arm. This sore arm problem has come up more than once on the agenda since I've been in hospital. And after an ultra sound this afternoon we know there are not one but two blood clots in the vein with my PICC line. I don't know if I mentioned here how much trouble the nurse had getting this line in, but it took over an hour and was very uncomfortable. That procedure and the ultrasound today are the most painful procedures I've had during the last year, mostly because the discomfort/pain lasted so long.

Don't have a solution for this yet. Marla says they will probably put a line in my chest. Ugh. On the other hand, it will make getting dressed easier. I'll be able to wear things with long sleeves. Gotta look on the bright side.

My blood oxygen level has been dicey over the last 24 hours so I asked for blood even though my hemoglobin count was 6.1 (the threshold is 6.0) I got blood but I'm still having trouble drawing a deep breath. I thought this was because my throat and neck are so swollen, and perhaps it is, but it also raises the pneumonia flag. So walk more and do the breathing toy more...which reminds me I never posted a picture of that thing for you. This worries me the most. This relies most on my body and least on the skill of my treaters.

I've had several visits from food people today. The nutritionist because I'm down to only what goes through a straw. Two from food service people because some of the folks who work down there are orangutans. Most of the ones I interact with are and I no longer bother trying to get the right thing; I just ask the nurses here on the floor for what I need.

Let's see, the pain person came in. Mom came down early this morning and brought me a protein shake for breakfast because the shakes here in the hospital all have some dairy in them (which surprised the nutritionist.) Suzanne stopped by just as I was falling asleep after the ultrasound.

My final conclusion this afternoon was to get up and walk. Sitting in my room feeling sorry for myself is getting me nowhere. Prayers and/or positive thoughts for the lung expansion. I have to be able to draw deep breaths to keep the bottoms of my lungs expanded so no pneumonia can take up residence.

Dr. Abhyankar coyly says "couple more days" when I ask anything like "how long til the mouth sores heal?" or "when can I go home?" or "when will we know the answer to ...?"

So couple more days folks.
Cathi

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Pole Post tonight! Very sorry to hear about your picc line. You never thought it was in right so I'm glad they are figuring it out. I hope this next one they put in is correct and lasts as long as you need it!

Hang in there...we're all pulling for you!

Love-
Margaret & Craig

Anonymous said...

Cathi,

I got words today from our scouts. They are heading home and should return by late tomrrow night. They both said it was spectacular, the weather couldn't have been nicer, and they've got great stories (they wouldn't share them with me....wanted to do it in person....but I told them they were on the hook to do so with Cathi....and they both said that sounded great!!)

Sending you our hearts and prayers.
sara and tom

Walt said...

Cathi,
Great to hear you are still getting in laps. Keep it up as every step helps. Sending you lots of prayers and thoughts from MN.
Take care and looking forward to coffee and the paper.

Love Walt

gail said...

Cathi,

Sending all sorts of healing thoughts & prayers. As the saying goes, take a deep breath and everything will get better. :) Walking is good for you and I'm glad that you are making it a priority. Woohoo. Hopefully by now the PICC line has been replaced and the blood clots are resolved. Can they even give you heparin right now? I'm looking forward to seeing you very soon!!

I have a ton of new jokes that will have to wait another week. I promise though that you will laugh very hard at all of them!

love, gail

Robbie Stanley said...

Lots of info! Thanks for keeping all the balls in the air and passing on the info - and it isn't boring at all, btw. It was a real stroke of luck that the nurse happened to see your arm - now you can add blood clots to your mental list of things to keep an eye out for; sheesh.
Keep posting; we're all behind you.
xox
Robbie

Diane said...

Hopefully today will be a better day. You are a trooper. Think of you often.
Somebody said, No Pain, No gain. You are proving this statement to me true.
Love
Diane

BAMc said...

Been keeping up on the posts and while it may not seem like it to you it does sound like you are trending for the better.

Seems like nurse Susan could write up some best practices for patient care to share with others.

So if you are allowed protein shakes from your mom, can you check with the doctor to see if you could mix in with the shake a fish oil extracted from a softgel capsule and maybe some vitamin C (with bioflavonoid) to reduce inflammation and help your body fight infections? Hopefully they would not impact the taste of the shake. You have to ask first to ensure you do not interfere with your cocktail of medicines.

Thanks for all the posts it helps us better frame what you are dealing with. Positive prayers and thoughts abound.

WV: steepsip (drinking term)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a bit of a slog right now, just keep concentrating on inflating those lungs. Daft idea but can you sing along to your ipod?

Sending lots of positive thoughts to our Starship Trooper.

love #2 GOT

WV - ershog. hmm something lurking in the undergrowth perhaps?