Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th on the right side of the hospital

I was in the hospital July 4th, 25 years ago welcoming my son Mark. I missed the parties, obviously, and missed the fireworks because I was on the wrong side of the hospital. But here I am on the south side, well positioned for fireworks in Westport and the Plaza. Last night there were quite a few so I hope tonight is better.

Conor arrived mid-day today and will be here through Monday. He is out eating right now, choosing from the wonderful selections in Kansas City. Sonic DriveIn. Haywards BarBQ. Oklahoma Joe' BarBQ. Choices. Conor is a planner and I've no doubt that by the time he leaves on Monday he will have had his fill.

I, on the other hand, am not interested in BarBQ or coffee, nor much of anything else. It keeps coming back up. There is a discrepancy between the hospital's delivery of food and the nurses' schedule of anti-nausea drugs. I don't hit the magic moment very often. Plus the food here has deteriorated over the year I've been eating it. I'm relying on saltine crackers and apple sauce right now. The verdict from Dr. Abhyankar is that I can go home when I can keep down half of what I eat. Which begs the question of who determines "half?" I will just report today was better than yesterday.

I'm very uncomfortable with a variety of aches and pains. I think I showed up with some repetitive motion strain in my upper arms which is one reason I've not been on the computer. Usually sleeping comfortably a few nights while avoiding the computer will fix this but sleeping comfortably doesn't seem to be on the agenda here. My back hurts, my head aches, my knees ache, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. (recall Yul Brynner in the King and I)

So I'm taking some heavy drugs both for pain and for nausea and snatching sleep gratefully.

I think most of the rest of the family has made it to the lake house. Walt and family, M&D, cousin Jason and Lori and kids for starters.

The boy scouts have begun delivering meals twice a week for which we are ever so grateful. And large group of scouts have set off for Boundary Waters for a week of paddling and camping. I'm SO jealous. I love it up there.

I am reading your comments and emails on my blackberry, another electronic convenience. Dr. Abhyankar is always smiling when he sees me so this is a good feeling. Today a couple of nurses from the Clinic stopped by which was a welcome visit. I have slept through several visits, and even a phone call or two. But I'm still getting out and hiking the hall several times each day (and several laps each trip.)

Meanwhile, it's a waiting game. You guys tell me what you're waiting on since my own list is so indefinite.

Watch that sky tonight.
Cathi

8 comments:

gail said...

Just waiting for the news from KC - and so glad to hear from you! Glad that Conor is there to visit. And Happy Birthday to Mark. Nancy, Sara and I all remembered that it is Mark's day. Walt's is soon too.

The 3 of us watched the fireworks from above Boulder CO tonight. We sat on a hillside just down from the NCAR building and had a beautiful view to the north and east. I think we saw 4 or 5 or 6 or 20 fireworks shows across the metro area. Beautiful.

Hoping you keep down at least 1/2 of your food soon. It will be wonderful for you to be home again. Soon!!

Sending tons of love & anti-nausea hugs. :)

love, gail

Unknown said...

Anti-nausea hugs from this side of the Atlantic too! So good to read your update and that your sense of humour remains intact.

I'm waiting for my car registration documentation to leap out from the very safe place I've 'filed' it ;) Otherwise I've a frustrating and bureaucratic week ahead of me.

Here's hoping the up-chucking subsides enough for you to go home.

lots of love #GOT

Diane said...

We're waiting on news that Sarah and Joel's house passes inspection.
All goes well and they'll close the 28th of July. Sure miss having them living here.
Always waiting on news from KC. Love hearing from you.
Love
Diane

Robbie Stanley said...

I'm waiting on my sister to pick me up so we can go to the grocery store and get the last of the things we need for my father's 80th birthday reception later today. It's unbelievably hot here in Florida - why does anyone live here in July?? So glad to read your recent posts. You've gotta be tough to get up and walk those laps despite how rotten you're feeling, but then you were once a competitive swimmer!
Much love,
Robbie

Anonymous said...

Cathi,

No news from our Scouters since they headed out after breakfast in the hotel after the first night. They are mid-way through their trip right now. Both Tom and Paul were super excited about it. Paul had a friend from kindergarten onward who attends the troop at the Methodist Church at SMParkway and Mission Road, Ryan was going and that made Paul thrilled. Paul turned 18 4 days before leaving, so that pushed him into an 'adult' category for this trip. (scarey details!!) I've never been there, sounds like you've got some incredible memories of those waters. I'm seriously jealous, but I'll have to live it through their pictures and stories. Paul did this trip with Graeme Stanford and his dad and older brother, along with Brandt, 3 or 4 years ago. So he knows what to expect, Tom left like a kid in a candy store. Those 3 were driving with Brandt. I'm sure they are making life long memories, and I'll make sure they come to see you and share their stories once they get back and you get sprung. So KEEP THAT FOOD DOWN, lady!! Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

Sara Grier Pistorius

Liz said...

Glad you are able to see the fireworks. We sat on the front porch last night and saw all the neighborhoods around the house lit up with a great show of fireworks. Tonight it's a bit less, but still a nice show.

wv-bearigoo I do hope that food starts tasting bearigoo soon!

Liz & Andres

Anonymous said...

You probably had a similar view to what Gail, Sara and I had on the 4th, lots of 'works to choose from. I'm waiting to hear about new opportunities at my company, whether I get to see more of those fireworks from the CO foothills. And to hear that you're keeping down that elusive 50%!

Love ya!
Nancy in limbo on Capitol Hill

Walt said...

Cathi,
I am waiting to get home and bring in coffee and the paper in the morning. But mostly I am waiting on someone to come and unpack the rest and put my house together. So close, but yet can't quite see the end.

Great talk today, glad you are keeping the food down. Now we have to wait for the pain to go away and the fog to clear.
Love you much & sending good vibes from Des Moines.. Walt