Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Kicking back at home; and a big surprise

I finally arrived home about 5pm tonight and have been eating ever since. Little things. But it's different when you can browse the cabinet or the fridge and choose a little of this and a little of that. I ate beef soup for supper which is the first real meat I've had in several weeks. I sorted out the new list of pills and swallowed them all without immediate mishap.

I confess the pill taking seems to get harder and harder. I was delighted to double check the list tonight and figure out that one pill is only once daily and I took it this morning. I cut them up. I take them with applesauce or jello. I do my best and trust that the process will get easier. After all, I haven't lost my cookies for several days now.

Dr. Aljitawi came in this morning and before he said "you are for sure going home today" he said "your chimerism is 100% donor." I went sailing out of the bed and danced into his arms and everyone picked up phones and took pics. News I was not expecting.

This means that my bone marrow shows 100% Walt cells today, at day 44. This is really great news. The next work to do will be to wean me away from the immune suppressant drugs and hope that Walt's cells continue to claim dominance and mine continue to be absent. That is what happens over the next 55 days, until day 100 post transplant.

Every question I asked was answered with "100 days." No eating out, no grandbaby visits, no parties, wear a mask. 100 days. The way I feel right now, it will take until 100 days to feel whole again. I am wobbly on my feet, my strength is just barely enough to get around by myself. I have some rebuilding to do. I will start short treks on the treadmill tomorrow though I suspect that by the time I get down the stairs to the treadmill, I won't have a lot of extra energy for actually cranking that thing.

Start small. That would be getting up the stairs to bed tonight. I am certainly way way ahead of where I was physically after my first hospital stay. I am still staying at M&D's house for a while. Frankly, the idea of moving to my own house and living on my own again is a little bit scary. Or terrifying.

I have enjoyed a day of celebrating, but I understand that it's head down for the next 55 days so I'm getting my mind set. I'm going to be a winner at the end of this.

And because I need to know. the 100 day target.
October 8, 2009.
That's the goal.

Finally, I don't even go to the clinic until thursday and when I go I will be up front to see a provider. I won't be in the back getting treatment with all my friends. This is going to be really strange.

8 comments:

Walt said...

WooHoo I got the pole position.
But then I already had a heads up on the good news. You could kind of say I had an inside on this one.
Cathi, Great that you kept your head and your spirits in this one and it paid off. I know you have had some great support and help from your friends, even if Dr. McGuirk pulled the plug on the guest list. I know together they all helped and you are getting better.
Love you bunches, Walt

gail said...

Cathi - that is the best gift you could possibly have received today. 100% Walt. INCREDIBLY WONDERFULLY AMAZINGLY FABULOUS!

One step at a time. I have marked October 8 on my calendar in big red letters. In the meantime - cross one day off at a time and enjoy every single one of them.

Love you so much!!

-gail

wv: fored. Kansan for the "future." Cathi is looking fored to being at home for the rest of her life!

Jason said...

Must be a good sign. The only perfect game to be pitched in a world series happened on Oct. 8, and it's Chevy Chase's b-day!


wv: nČ…sti (impf.)1.to lay eggs (croatian)

Unknown said...

Wonderful news! You're doing brilliantly, just let Walt rule (or at least let him think he does LOL)

So pleased you're back at Mom & Dad's and eyeing up the treadmill. Please take it easy and don't overdo it. I've marked Thursday 8 October in my diary.

lots of love #2 GOT

wv - weracia. make of that what you will

Anonymous said...

Wow What a change a day can make. I missed yesterday, and today I read great news. All your hard work is paying off. Keep it up.
Love
Diane

Robbie Stanley said...

Sheesh - you miss one day of the blog and look what happens - you're home grazing through the cupboards! Must feel great to be back in your chair and bedroom and not have to deal with the oxygen, tasting food again and feeling those Walt cells chugging along. Enjoy it all, keep your head down, the days will pass.
xox
Robbie

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!! We're so happy you have made it home and are feeling up to grazing and hitting the treadmill. And you had the day off yesterday! So exciting!

We have Oct. 8 on our calendar now too and are looking forward to having that week have a much better outcome than it has for our family in the past.

Enjoy the front room of the clinic!

Love-
Craig and Margaret

WV: Crathics: crathics unlimited prides themselves in having a large variety of products.

Unknown said...

Oh Happy Day, Oh Happy Day! Congrats! Finally some really good news.

I was just too sad to post right after the news about Hayward. I couldn't even do it the next day w/o crying.
Cathi was so nice to protect my privacy, but I was the gal with the knickers chewed up by Hayward. Pretty funny -- we have more Hayward stories in this family. The time we were at the lakehouse and he ate the neighbors' steaks ready for the grill. Mark P. (not Mark V.) got to witness that one. Also, when visiting Cathi, Mark would go with Hayward for what Mark called his morning DRAG. Hayward was a master at "telling" us he had not been fed, when indeed he had. He was a happy dog and one of a kind.

Keep on doing what you have been doing! Love to all -- DEB P. PS --how weird the word verification is GRAFT - I'll take it as a good sign.