Thursday, August 13, 2009

Never Underestimate Cathi Maynard

Dr. McGuirk came into the exam room at the clinic today with a new slogan. "Never underestimate Cathi Maynard" I like it.

I went to the clinic, promoted to the "exam" area. But I still had to enter through Limited Access and so I saw all my friends. The counts are all good. Dr. McGuirk was pleased. He encouraged me to just do 2 minutes on the treadmill. I do not have to return to the clinic until MONDAY. I must begin thinking seriously about what to put back into this empty life.

So I have been downstairs twice today and completed 7 minutes on the treadmill. It seems like a big deal to trek down those stairs and then back up but really, it's less time that I spent walking in the hall at the hospital.

However, going up the stairs requires muscles I haven't kept in shape. Think of picking up one foot to slip it into a shoe while balancing on the other. I'm not so good at that. But I've also been upstairs at least twice today so the strength will come.

Life at home is TIRING. Everything I do wears me out. From going to the bathroom to getting a drink. I'm wobbly at unexpected times, including carrying things. I don't nap very much but I'm sleeping good at night.

I'm eating a lot, but still with the help of regular Ativan. "Ativan is our friend" is a mantra amongst the BMT staff. I have a few more days of steroids and I am looking forward to getting away from those.

Mom keeps producing little bags of stuff to deal with. Mail, bills, cards, etc. I get through one pile and another one appears in my chair. 7-8 weeks of catching up is going to take some time.

Meanwhile no changes in the plan for a while. A friend suggested Rogaine to encourage my hair to regrow. Anyone know anything about that?

Cathi

8 comments:

Mags said...

Pole position tonight...highlight of my day! Monday!!?? That is very very cool! You have a WHOLE weekend now. I'm sure you will find lots of fun little things to fill your time.

Keep taking the little steps to getting stronger. You will gain your strength back soon. In the meantime enjoy all the small new "freedoms" you are gaining control of!

Love-
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathi, so glad to get all the updates this week! I've been in NY for work and they won't let me read blogs from work....if they only knew how important these are...

It was just a few days ago that you were writing you hoped you could go to sleep and wake up a new woman. Well, let me tell ya, you're sounding like a new woman already. Welcome back home!

Love ya!
Nancy in DC

gail said...

Ahhh - sounds like you've found Prince Valium - a good partner to sleep with occasionally! haha. Getting off the steroids is a good goal!

Rogaine? OMG. You're kidding, right? Bald is hot. (okay, consider the source).

Two treks up and down the stairs is a lot. That is a long staircase and you're having to lift your body to get up them. The down part is even harder on your legs. You'll get there!!

I'm so excited for you!!!

love, gail

Anonymous said...

Wow! Each day brings you closer to the new you. Think how far you have come in a week. Every step counts! I check the blog everyday and love it when there is a news from you. Thinking of you.
Diane

brianmargaret said...

Very encouraging news Cathi. Keep up the good work and we hope you go from 'strength to strength'.

Enjoy your weekend at home.

Love from across the pond.

Margaret & Brian

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathi,ever done the sit down back assward up the stairs thing.
I did and it helped when I lived at the other place.If I got tired, I would rest a little and not have to worry about falling down.Its good for going down the stairs too.Sorry I dont no anything about growing hair. Love and Kisses
Nedra

BAMc said...

Awesome news across these latest blogs!

Don't know much about Rogaine, but Mr. Natural sez: ask your doctor if in addition to your multiple vitamin, see if you can take a Biotin supplement?

Biotin is a b vitamin and is good for hair growth. Read more by copying this link into your browser: http://ezinearticles.com/?Hair-Loss:-Biotin-is-Food-for-Your-Hair&id=126771

- or google 'biotin' for loads of info.

You have great forward momentum. Be sure to pace yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just checking in. Hope you're doing great!
Love
Diaen