Monday, October 27, 2008

The bear market affects everything!

A downturn today! Alas! No going out, no guests!

White cell count was way down. Ganguly was the doctor today and he delivered the news and instructions in his clipped way of speaking.

Good Mooooorning! How ARE you? yes?
your counts are down.
I am not worried. this is normal. do not worry.
When did you start taking Bactrim?
ok. do not take it tonight. do not take it again.
I am going to draw more blood, sorry. You have a line? oh well then no problem.
We will see if you can take a different antibiotic.
Magnesium is down. How many are you taking?
ok. take 2 at lunch too. so 2,2,2.
I am also going to check and see how much of your blood is you and how much is your brother. that will take a while, you will find out on Monday.
come back on Thursday. we will check your blood without the Bactrim.

I asked my questions.
"I'd like to get back in my house with my dogs in December. Is that possible?"
"yes, I think so. We have a little drop now but that will go back up. should be fine by then."
He didn't bat an eye about the dogs.

I ask "how long will I take Cellcept?" and he explains the taper process.
"40 days. then taper. Right now? 2,2. 40 days, 2, 1 for 2 weeks then 1,1, and so on"

And I said "well I'm not going to ask the last one"
He says, "the one about eating out? no you can't do that yet. no going out. no guests"

I reckon there must be some way of reading my mind when he reads my blood.

So I will close with this. I received a card today. with a flowery angel and script flowing on the front that read "Every germ has a little angel watching over it"
Inside in the same flowery script: "saying Die, Germ, Die"

Watch out for bears.

4 comments:

Mags said...

So sorry to hear about the downturn! I am sure you will be back to your upward turns very soon again! We are thinking of you everyday!

Love-
Mrs. Dr. Schroeder :)

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the little guys going up and then down. Well don't want things to get to out of normal for our family. Wishing you were having guests and take out meals. Hopefully we will see you soon. Both kids are excited about the Halloween costumes you gave them, and are grateful for their aunt.
Get well soon. Walt

Unknown said...

Well that's a bummer, but i suppose there has to be little hiccups along the way. Can you still eat salad?

We get nightly news updates on the election. Saw rallies at Dayton, Ohio and Colorado last night - looked chilly in both. So stay cozy and concentrate on that WBC.

love #2 GOT

gail said...

Cathi,

We need to help PUMP you UP! Let's get those numbers back to where they belong & make them stay. We could sing "Up Up and Away in my beautiful, my beautiful ballooooooon." :) Or maybe not. LOL.

It was NOT cold in Colorado on Sunday at the political rally. It was a beautiful autumn day, chilly but not blustery. And a lot of people! Probably the biggest party I've ever attended for my birthday certainly. That is one thing you could be grateful for, Cathi... that you don't feel obligated to attend rallies for your candidate.

(Margaret - CONGRATULATIONS to Dr. and Dr. Schroeder!)

Sending extra karma from Colorado.

love, gail