Sunday, October 5, 2008

Seriously drooping

Hello on Sunday, Day 11.
I am very tired and am not doing much besides lying in bed or the recliner watching the tube. (which is ever so painful at the moment since the Chiefs seem to be having an off day.)

I went to the hospital outpatient yesterday and today. Just returned home today after leaving here at 7:30. Things move slower at the hospital on the weekends, and I needed magnesium, lots of it. I don't feel like a new woman. I feel extremely apathetic. Dr. Aljitawi said to get up and walk around the house 3x a day and that is sufficient exercise. That is about as much as I feel like doing. This is because the action is all on the inside these days.

The good news is that on the inside engraftment is in progress. The counts are bobbing all over the place, but today the platelets were up and they are the first to rise. Of course they could go down and back up a couple of times before they stay up.

The mouth sores have cleared up. Plenty of rinsing with saline I guess.
Walt flew home today. He is feeling fully recovered and back to himself. No headaches, no joint aches and no feeling loopy.

My appetite is just about gone and food is not so tasty. But I keep on eating, especially protein bars. Hot tea is the best tasting thing around right now. Janice snuck into World Market and fetched me some P&G Tips, so I have GOOD hot tea to drink. And speaking of Janice, I beat her twice at Scrabble last night. So while I might not remember, I can still spell.

100 days of isolation is 100 days of no guests. I am hopeful that will be eased before the 100 days is up, but meanwhile I'm restricted to email and waving through windows.

Footnote: I have sent many thank yous for gifts whose source I could identify. But there are some I just don't remember and didn't get written down at the time. Some blue pajamas left on the kitchen counter at my house? a block of notepaper with black polkadots on the side and tied up in a big pink bow? Would the senders please own up? And if you sent me something and didn't hear from me, let me know that too. I'd like to have the opportunity to say thanks personally.

And that's the wrapup today.
Cathi

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi
Thanks for posting and keeping us all updated. I'm sure you don't always feel like doing it.

Good news about the internal work - keep it up!!

love #2 GOT

Robbie Stanley said...

Ditto what Janet said - we really appreciate your updating the blog and know it's taking significant effort on your part these days. Thanks! Hear's hoping for a quiet week at the house with much engraftment going on (I'm learning lots of new words from the blog!).

Love, Robbie

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathi -

More good news! Keep it coming! It occurs to me that if this is what they said would be "ugly", then ugly ain't all that bad.

I was just wondering, would engraftment be a good scrabble word or is it too long (not a good scrabble player)?

Keep up the good work.

Love ya,

gail said...

I'll capitalize on what Judy suggested about new Scrabble words... your vocabulary has broadened and I bet you can use all your tiles in one play for that extra 50 point bonus!

Rest well. I hope the drugs that the nurse practitioner gave you the other day for the hot flashes are helping too.

So glad that Walt is better and you are getting better by the day!

love, gail