Friday, October 10, 2008

Fri, 10.10 - No Weekend Off :(

Hi everyone, a posting from Conor. I know you missed me. :)

The ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count) did not stay up so Mom will be visiting the clinic this weekend. Per the subject, no weeekend off. That's the disappointment. However - it's not the hospital. So as Mom would say, 'we're grateful for that.' Also, the WBCs and hemoglobin continue down which is good.

Her bones are hurting now. If you can imagine (I could not quite when she said it), it's in-between the joints as well as the joints. Talk about an odd feeling and a new meaning to the phrase 'I hurt all over.' But this is a good sign so we'll take it.

Gist of all this is there are true signs of engraftment but it's not done yet. There's a long road to go in the near-term as well as long-term, and we're all marching to that one day at a time. After all, it is day 15 and engraftment is supposed to happen 12-15 days. So hopefully the neutrophil count will stabilize at a high enough level that they'll consider her 'grafted.' :)

Mom was ecstatic that Oreo cookies tasted good today at the clinic...evidence that her taste buds are recovering. She also visited Starbucks on the way home for a Caramel Macchiato. Those haven't tasted good for a long time!

Janice's husband, Chuck, is staying at Mom's house to look after the dogs. This includes walking them. It's especially good for the senior citizen, Hayward, as he seems to be particularly lonely.

Mom's looking for some new visualization so if you have recommendations on engraftment and the appropriate neutrophil count, send them on!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

5 comments:

Robbie Stanley said...

Hey - back in the post position! Thanks for the update, Conor - it means so much to those of us far afield.
Cathi, I'm so happy to hear that you're regaining taste. I've just ordered you a book about visualizing - I hope it helps (just take what you want from it, as always). Although maybe you'd rather have a cookbook with lots of great color photos to drool over.
This weekend is big in our town. Today is the walk to raise money for the food shelf, followed by the Ethel Atkins Chicken Pie Supper, and then tomorrow is the big event: the Tractor Parade!! I'll be running around with the camera but we could just use pictures from all the other walks/suppers/tractor parades since they are always exactly the same. Someday you'll have to come out for it.
I'll be thinking of you, as always,
Robbie
xox

Anonymous said...

#9 in the list of things to do

Attend a Chiefs game in the post season. After all, we know they are missing you and only playing this bad because you are not in your normal seat cheering them on. So of course, they will make it to post season so you are able to see them play!

gail said...

I have tried thinking up some new visual to inspire more engraftment - but the only thing I could come up with was adopting another dog & making it part of my family. Not exactly what you're asking for (and certainly not what you or I need right now!). LOL.

I hope the last two days have been easier and that the bone pain has decreased. I'm sure you have maintained your sunny disposition and funny quips all weekend. Wish I could be there to egg you on!

Happy Sunday.

love, gail

Unknown said...

The thing that comes to mind when I visualise engraftment is really sticky black treacle, you know, the kind that leaves long sticky threads if you try to pull your fingers apart. Sticky black treacle or maple syrup, with the added benefit of greasing and soothing those aching joints.

Keep at it Cathi - push that count upwards. Love ya (as #3 GOT would say)
HVH #2 GOT

Anonymous said...

I can not visualize grafting. Only the karate kid doing the funky plants, and I try to remember the karate kid, other than Conor thought he was king...
The bones hurting is OK until you pass Dr. Doogie as Sara and I did after spending our time donating marrow stem cells. I laughed really hard when I saw the 13 year old kid with slicked back hair parted in the middle walking in with his satchel like he owned the place. When I laughed my whole body hurt, so it was a hard laugh intermixed with winces of pain as I crunched over. But I kept laughing as did Sara and all the nurses there.
Cathi, miss you already. Looking forward to getting back to KC and saying high again. Remember my cells are like me kind of a late bloomer, but when I come around. LOOK OUT... Just think 14 years younger.