Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dreaming of salad

Day 22. Day 2 of high counts. So if day 3 has high counts I hope they term that engraftment. I am feeling pretty good these days. Sleeping better and doing more stuff. not very much more, but a little more. My bones don't ache very much and aside from a little tingling here and there, no other side effects.

I'm hoping the counts are high tomorrow and I shall indulge in a huge salad tomorrow night for dinner. At the clinic on the treatment floor (where I go for magnesium every day) a cart of sack lunches comes around at noonish. I get the lunch but ironically, the sandwich has lettuce on it, a no-no for my diet. So I give the sandwich to my companion of the day and I eat the chips and Oreo cookies. (Today I have sent mom out for a 3 Musketeers candy bar...and it is not nov 5th yet.)

Yesterday I wore my new t-shirt to the clinic (see the picture) and got some big laughs out of the staff. There are a lot more patients at the clinic these days. When I first started going I rarely saw another bald person, now there are dozens. I reckon this is the surge of folks who were keeping the hospital so full near the end of my stay and now we're all visiting the clinic. So while I have to wear a mask everywhere except in a treatment room, it's nice to have company.

Three jack-o-lanterns appeared on the back deck yesterday along with a big white mum for background. Mom lit them last night and permitted me to take photos from inside. One fellow is lopsided and Sally carved a startled face on him. It's a total smile out there!

I'm reading more but nothing too deep. Current book is "Notes from a small island" by Bill Bryson. While I have never lived in England, many of his observations are like those I have recited from my visits.

Yesterday I saw Dr. Abhyankar and he spent a few minutes discussing politics. The subject of "Field dressing a moose" came up and he said he had never heard of that before this election. Then he asked me how to do it. His final remark was something like "so as long as you have the back at the top and you stick at the bottom it's good." Who am I to argue with a hero? Though I have to say, it's a pretty good simplification of the process.

Cathi

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo Cathi, love the T-shirt. I think you and Walt can work that Y chromo thing to either advantage.

My list would include chocolate, ice cream and wine, maybe even all at once.

Love ya,
Sara

Anonymous said...

Great picture! So happy to see your smiling face and funny t-shirt. I'd hoped you could have a Cubs championship one, but obviously that ain't happenin...let's just hope it's not another 100 years. :)

Love,

Conor

Anonymous said...

You're lookin' pretty chipper, Lady! I, too, love the shirt and I'm sure you will get a lot of mileage out of it. I misssed you the few days there were no posts during your worry time. Glad they got that straightened out!

Keep up the positive attitude and good work and let's get to that strength building time again soon.

Of course, chocolate is at the top of my list!

Robbie Stanley said...

Hey there,
Thanks for the newsy post and photo -you are looking good, girl! Glad to hear the joints have calmed down and you're mostly pain free. And I'm happy that you now have a jack-o-lantern fan club cheering you on from right outside the back door.
I'm off to Monterey this morning for my cousin's daughter's wedding. Long flight but I'm taking the knitting project that I tore out again last night and will be starting for the third (and last!!) time.
Also...Go Red Sox!!!!
Love, Robbie

Mags said...

Love the picture! You look great! Glad you are keeping your spirits up and have taken on the Halloween season!

I second Sara's list...you could even go with a port wine over the ice cream with chocolate...yum!

Love-
Margaret

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi
Great to hear all the positive news - and you look super-dupe!! love the t-shirt.
Huge virtual hugs #2 GOT

gail said...

You look mah-velous dahlink. :)

It i wonderful to see you up and about. Those jack-o-lanterns must be great fun to see on the deck. The lopsided one sounds like a hoot. Who woulda ever guessed that carving pumpkins would turn into such an art form!

Margaret & Sara have great ideas. I think I'll have to taste test them to make sure you'll like the mix!

Sending smiles & lots of hugs.

love, gail