Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ganguly makes me laugh

Clinic today with Janice, ho-hum.


Here is a recap of the conversation with Ganguly.


G: any nausea or vomiting?
C: nope
G: diarhea?
C: nope
G: any rash or fever?
C: nope
G: any swelling?
C: nope
G: sleeping well?
C: nope
pause
C: the hot flashes wake me up
G: perhaps when your brother's cells take over you will not have them.

giggle


So things are going well. Clinic every day for the next 7 days. Things are starting to happen. WBC is 1, platelets are 108k, hg is beginning to drop at 8.4. Tomorrow will likely be a longer day for the magnesium.


I am still in the strictest isolation. Shower every day. Don't wear the same thing twice (like I get anything dirty sitting in a chair all day) No children not your own. No guests. Wear the mask even in the hall at the clinic. This is not the bottom yet. And I confess today I don't feel hunky dory. No telling how I will feel at the 'bottom'


The plan calls for 100 days of 24/7 surveillance. Never be alone. Never be more than 30 minutes from the hospital. No guests, no sitting outside on the deck. No eating food that anyone brings in. This is all to prevent exposure to or infection from any germs. The only time I get a hug is when the folks here in the house have showered and put on clean clothes. Another forbidden is shaving my legs. fortunately there is no hair on my legs these days....which begs the question of why they even list this?


When the platelets drop to a certain point, then no teeth brushing. They give me this odd green sponge on the end of a stick and something like mouthwash (nothing so abrasive as toothpaste) to deal with my teeth. They call this oral hygiene. It's more like camping. My dentist told me how important it is to keep the mouth clean as teeth harbor germs. I explained that I can't floss, and at a certain point I can't even brush. He made an ugly face.


But I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em. I'm amusing myself by taking photos through the windows. It's entertaining, I don't know how good the photos will be. My attention span for reading is about a paragraph. I am willing to be bored by the television, and I might get talked into a game of scrabble...or battleship.

Cathi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Darling
It does sounds like a long drag but we're all 'out here' sending the hugest virtual hugs (HVHs) and hope the 100 days start to speed up a bit.
lots of love #2 GOT

gail said...

When exactly does the countdown to 100 begin? Did it already start?

You sound like you are doing so well! We're rooting for you - obviously from all over the world!!

love you so much.

gail