Friday, October 3, 2008

Day 9 - something's happening

Today is Day 9. The count begins the day after the transplant. Transplant day was ZERO. The days before were -4, -5, etc. The days after have positive numbers...all the way to 100.

Mom took me to the clinic today and I saw Ganguly. He was excited about what's happening. The white cell count was up .1 and the platelets continue to drop. Hemoglobin still holding at 8.4. But I have a "tender" spot in my mouth and a tender spot in my abdomen when he presses. So I will visit the bone marrow outpatient unit at the hospital this weekend so I can see a doctor every day.

One of the side effects of something...chemo, grafting, something is mouth sores. I rinse several times a day with saline water to prevent this, but nevertheless this time I appear to be more vulnerable and have the beginnings of a sore in my mouth. The first time around I vowed I could tolerate all side effects this one and I never got them. Perhaps I swore to the wrong deity this time?

The white cell count going up, however slightly, is an indicator that Walt's cells are starting to work. The tenderness in my abdomen is a symptom of graft vs. host. (Remember we want a little bit of this fighting to ensure a better long term graft) So Ganguly was excited.

Since about 7:30 last night I have been in bed or the clinic. I am extremely tired and even though I slept pretty good last night I have slept a lot this afternoon.

"Graft" means Walt's cells are grafting to my body and working. It could be compared to grafting a beautiful, weak rose bush to a stronger rose root. You want the rose to start drawing sustenance from the grafted root. We want the bone marrow to start operating with Walt's healthy stem cells.

I've no idea what to expect. and fortunately I don't care much right now. I just go where I'm told and then back to bed. This might be the part I don't remember.

Cathi

5 comments:

gail said...

Wow - you are almost into the 90 day mark. That's fabulous. 10 days down and only 90 to go. Such great news about all the blood work & the numbers.

I've been doing grant research on a project at work. Came across something and sent you a link today. You've probably already been given those kinds of resources for finding financial support, et al, but if not then you might find something interesting.

Thinking of you all the time!!

love, gail

Mags said...

That's fabulous news about the little signs of possible grafting! (Sounds rather painful though too :( ) I know you are taking good care of yourself and getting lots of good rest. The stormtroopers are hard at work it seems!

We head to Ashville, NC tomorrow for a friend's wedding. Should be lots of fun. The wedding is Sunday morning, however they rented out a bar on Saturday night!

Much love and positive vibes-
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Amazing. It's so good to see that things are happening which sound positive. You are doing the right thing - just do what's in front of you and the rest will fall in line. Listen to Ganguly and the other doctors. They're an amazing team. Hopefully the sores will go away quickly with help from Walt's stem cells?

Anonymous said...

Cathi - Love your daily journal. It will be something for you to read a year or two from now and contemplate your strength through tough times. You are amazing!

Keep up the good work, maintain your positive attitude and bright spirit and get plenty of sleep. It's good for the body, and soul.

Love ya,

Judy

Unknown said...

Hello Cathi
Super to hear that 'something' is happening, the down side is the tenderness and the mouth sores. Did Nurse Mary's suggestion for the hot flashes help at all? Interrupted sleep is not what you need when you're feeling so tired.

Stay focused on building new blood cells and keep as strong as you're able. You're 10% along the rollercoaster road.

much love #2 GOT