Wednesday, July 23, 2008

7.23 - Competitive Swimming

Curious name? It has meaning, believe me.

- Medical: Tough. It was probably the toughest day medically since we've been in this battle.
- Mental: Strong...as always!
- Physical: Tough. She said she's 'all used up' this evening, which you'll see why as you read further.

Obviously these 3 criteria equal a less positive day than yesterday, but I would say it ended up pretty damn well all things considered.

I got a call this morning from Mom to tell me they'd confirmed a bronchoscopy appointment for her (for those curious, here's the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchoscopy - looks like 'fun', doesn't it?) That had been an option for a while now with the continued lung / infection issues. Well there was more to it than just the bronchoscopy.

During the night, Mom's blood oxygen sunk so they had to give her a mask. The nurses remarked that she was doing amazingly well to just now need oxygen so we had that going for us. However the complexity is doing a bronchoscopy while a patient has low blood oxygen requires ICU and usually a ventilator post-surgery during recovery. Obviously anytime you introduce those two terms it's another level of risk. And they wouldn't know for sure if it would be done standard or in ICU until just before the scope.

She had communion and recited the 'Our Father' with the hospital priest prior to going down to the operating room too. That was an extremely emotional experience.

I'm extremely relieved to report that she was able to have a standard procedure and avoid ICU + ventilator altogether. We're all very relieved and you may have seen Walt and Rhonda's comments on yesterday's entry stating that. It just goes to show you how everything can quickly change in either direction and it's a matter of focusing on the task immediately in front.

I'm also happy to report that Mom's mental strength during this process was (as usual) amazing. She told several people today that her mantra through the process was / is 'I have the lungs of a competitive swimmer.' Pretty impressive and I'm hoping that she can spare that for my next triathlon. And when she came out, she asked Margaret in her typical tone, 'are you impressed?' Talk about the understatement thus far! We're all amazed, Mom.

Mari says she's physically exhausted, but is still sharp enough (although she doesn't feel like she's as sharp as she is) that she's still correcting the nurses and helping keep them on the same page...still in charge, Captain Cathi.

She's not out of the woods on all of the lung issues, but we're hoping this was the valley. The fever's still around so that can make it difficult to rest. They're still trying to confirm they know everything about where she's been, what the infections could be, etc. They did speculate today that the lung infiltration could be leukemia cells. We'll keep everyone posted.

On days like today, it's great to know everyone's praying and visualizing great things for Mom. We know there are days like this in front of us, but it's good to have one behind us where she got up one more time than she was knocked down.

Thanks everyone.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. All I can think of right now is ebb and tide, and that we will continue to experience this throughout your medical journey. Did you notice that I said, "we" and not "you"? I feel like we are all in this together - fighting for a common cause, and that is YOU! As I am writing this KC & the Sunshine band started playing, "That's the way I like it." reminding me of Walt's post yesterday. Is that a sign?

By the way, am I the first comment tonight? Now again, I can join you in the competitive swimming thing. Of course, that is only that I was first in posting. I guess that doesn't count. Crap!

Rhonda, DJ, Winston and David said...

And so the novel must continue. The tour de Cathi has moved to the ocean! The IOC will be knocking on YOUR door anyday! Cathi, you are keeping us on our toes!
Please do not repeat today...ever.
Thanks for fighting harder than ever. Mari says you were amazing!
Big Sister, We all love you!
AirXO, Rhonda and all

christie said...

Cathi, anyone that has ever heard your wonderful laugh knows that those lungs weren't going to go to ICU just because they ran a test. No one can hear you laugh and think weak...it is a laugh of a champion and you once again proved it today. I bet those little leukemia cells are really getting mad now...they picked the wrong person. Keep swinging those Cathi punches and showing them who is the boss...you go girl!!

gail said...

Not only do you have the lungs of a competitive swimmer, but also you have the lungs of a champion pig caller! Where is that trophy or certificate that you won oh so many years ago that proves to the world that you are a champion caller? I have actually bragged about that to friends. And those friends still speak to me too!

I'm sending to you good wishes from my tennis team - they have all pitched in and offered to get tested and/or donate blood. And they regularly check in with me to find out your progress. Never thought you'd have a ladies social tennis team fighting for you too, did you!? We don't just drink margaritas and beer. teehee.

Ben says to give you hugs and he hopes you feel better.

We love you!

-gail

Robbie Stanley said...

Whew! I'm sure you're relieved to be done with yesterday. Maybe you could plan a less exciting day today, please. Glad to know that Janet's there to provide some British humor, comfort and good tea etiquette.
It sounds like you're in the very best of care, from the pros, family and friends. Keep swimming!
Love, Robbie

Unknown said...

Had to sit awhile and think about this before I could even type anything. (had to wipe tears first to be able to see) The redhead in me is mad that you have to go thru this!

Loved your comment to Margaret - sooo glad you are still our same Cathi.

Hope that was the worst day you'll ever have and things only get better. DEB

Unknown said...

Good Morning Cathi
I hope its a much better morning than the end of yesterday, and that you managed some rest. You're proving yourself a 'tough old bird' - oops just had a mental picture of one of those cartoon hens learning to fly in that Nick Park movie, can't remember the name.

You've such determination and fight in you, I know you'll deal with this lung issue in the same way you deal with anything else that stands in your path.

Hopefully I'll be able to visit a little later today, once I get clearance from your medical team. I've brought penguins :)
love Janet xo

Unknown said...

oh, and i also have a YouTube clip of a British redhead joke :)
J x

Anonymous said...

Hello from Warsaw! Poland, that is. I've been in days of meetings with mathematicians, so you can imagine I've had lots of time to keep you in my mind. Those equations just float right over my head! Can't tell you how elated I am to read you're doing better after yesterday's ordeal. And I can't help but think a little shot of bourbon wouldn't clear those lungs right up. ;o)

You know how we always used Pols in our jokes as kids, which is so not PC now? Well, the jokes on us. These folks over here have the craziest sense of humor. Always cutting up, no matter how serious the conversation. (or maybe it's just the math geeks). I'll email some of the jokes I've heard (the better ones). But they're very careful to not tell American jokes in front of us. The Germans on the other hand...

Hopefully I'm successful this time posting. You'd think just being related to the computer queen would make me half literate on these things.

More later. Big cyber hugs and kisses from the land of pierogies, kraut, and warm beer! - Nancy

Linda said...

Hey Kiddo. I know you like the technology stuff but I'm glad you passed on the ICU/vent bit yesterday. Yes -- we are all impressed with you and your wonderful spirit. Keep up the good work. Hugs. Linda

Mike said...

Cathi

Glad to hear the news that another step have been cleared. A number of your Colorado-Trip friends told me to tell you hello and that they are praying for you.

Call if you feel like talking.

Mike

KimMcLew said...

Hi, Cath (aka Craig Drive's Olympic Dara Torres!).

Love your swimming analogy ~ apropos, too, cause you weathered this tough day exhausted but triumphant like a swimmer spent after a pre-meet workout.

So very proud of you....

Sleep Well.

Hugs,
Kim, et al