Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday, 7.18...back in KC

Today is classified as another good day. It wasn't a GREAT day, but definitely not one that will go down as remotely bad. Ganguly remarked this morning that she's doing very good, but they're not sending her home. That got a laugh out of him and her. The only real medical thing is a hit or miss fever that seems to fluctuate between being too warm or too cold.

WBC: 0.8
Hemoglobin: 6.7

The techie consultant in me is going to graph this data so we have visual evidence of how she's doing. Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend!

One thing a return to the hospital did was remind me again just how strong a woman my Mom is (not that I needed a 'reminder' per se). I don't know what I expected when I got here tonight as I'm trying to really manage those expectations. But man, she looks pretty damn good! She did say her hair doesn't really feel like hair so it's on the way out. Here are two specific examples that reminded me though:

1. I'm sitting here and in a very cheerful voice says, 'do you want to go with me to ride the bike?' Maybe some of the Tour de France talk has gotten to her b/c after 1.8 miles (you read that right - 1.8 after doing 1.0 just several days ago) she said, 'it ain't Lance, but it ain't bad.' Literally had the nurses in stitches and one said they were going to have to post that on the bike as an inspirational quote.

2. She was getting ready for bed and I look up from my laptop to see her playing with the breathing toy. Then I hear a little bit of a giggle coming from her so I look up. She noticed I was looking at her so she said, 'well I try to get it to the yellow line 5 times before I stop.' Hmmm...good goal I thought. But I asked her if she'd been able to do it the whole time or if that's what they asked her to do. Basically just trying to get a sense of what she was working towards and how she's been doing. Her response was priceless. 'They want me to breathe into it 5 times and stop.' I busted out a huge grin b/c I know she'd done it at least twice that many times! You go Mom!

Lastly, I'll post on a separate post sometime tomorrow some instructions for adding a comment to the blog. She's received several emails from people having difficulties with it. Clearly something we need to clear up so everyone can post! Btw, has anyone looked at the # of times this blog's been viewed? Needless to say she's popular. ;)

Mom / Cathi Request

Captain Cathi strikes again. She does not want anyone 'crossing that threshold' (of the door) who remotely thinks she's going to die. One of the challenges of having a lot of friends and family is one pessismistic thought turns into perceived reality. Well for Mom, it's already tough being in this room and not always feeling like you know everything. It often times feels to her like maybe the doctors / nurses have said something to family and not to her. Then when something gets to her, a lot of other thoughts start spinning - anger, deceit, and general inquisition.

These are very normal thoughts for someone in Mom's position to have. You want to have someone or something to blame. You're paranoid people are hiding information from you. Yada yada. I told her we do not need her honing in on those things and it truly is a case where you get knocked down a few times emotionally, but you get back up one more time than you got down. That's how we'll beat this emotionally. It's ok to have emotional challenges so long as the mental aspects are sharp and optimistic. Her insistence proves to me she's there.

So we're laying down the gauntlet so to speak. The power of the mind is very powerful, and doubting will get us nowhere. Reality is the medical professionals are happy, which is what matters. They're the ones with the project plan and we're working on one task at a time, one day at a time.

That's it for now. Hopefully everyone understands and no one is offended by my comments. But I needed to put it out there for her sake as our role in this is to be strong for her and help pick her up when times do get tough. God knows they're going to be a lot tougher as we progress.

13 comments:

Liz said...

Hallo lady.

Seems I've finally beat Janet in the early posting. Surely one of us can beat her every so often.

It's been a week of training in New York for me. Tonight reminded me of Red/White/and Blues night in Winfield. I kept telling myself it was just Winfield Warmups. I am looking forward to getting back to Cincinnati on Sunday morning.

Anyhow, we are thinking of you & praying for you (my friends here in NY, as well as all of us at home or transplanted in Ohio).

Love you & take care-
Liz & family

Unknown said...

oh no - I got beat to the post! Well done Liz!

Morning Cathi - hope you had a good night's rest. Do you get to watch any of the Tour de France on the telly? A Brit won a 4th stage - our best performance ever. Still don't think anyone will surpass Lance tho', although it does sound like there's plenty of training going on in the University of Kansas Medical Center :)

BTW visitors, I've been told that Omega 3 and 6 supplements are an additional way of keeping germs at bay, as well as good ol' Vitamin C.

I'd better get motoring Ms Invincibility, got all the Saturday chores to do!

love Janet xo

Robbie Stanley said...

Good Morning! Your bike riding and breathing exercises are really most impressive. You must be wowing the docs and nurses there every day.

I'm spending the morning watching the British Open (golf); pretty exciting stuff. It's Saturday -- don't work too hard!

Love and hugs,
Robbie

brianmargaret said...

Hello Cathi
Sending greetings from across "the pond". Hope you are feeling reasonably well today. We have the goose decked out in your Kansas sunflower outfit and it reminds us of you every time we catch a glimpse.
We are watching the Open Golf as well as Robbie - typical English summer weather - it's blowing a gale!
Love from us both, Margaret & Brian.

Roger & Carol said...

Morning Cathi:
We may have a gap in the haying, so are trying to come up Sunday. We finally hired a 16 yr old from Dexter that really wants to work. It's fun watching him learn to operate the loader & other equipment. I get to watch him from my baler tractor while the others are driving the trucks to the barn. Reminds me of the summers with Walt (or Wally back then). I love watching the kids grow up & learn more "stuff".

Try to see you tomorrow.
Roger & Carol

Unknown said...

Conor, Annie, and Cathi: Hello from Africa, we have finally been able to check internet and read the news. Sounds like you are being tough, and I think having a positive mind is one of the best medicines. We are thinking about you and sending our positive thoughts and prayers your way. We love you and will get in touch when we get home.
|Heather and Paul

gail said...

And from the wild west contingency - good morning from Denver. :)

You should be receiving your package by today in the USPS, Cathi. I hope you have enough time during the day/evenings to thoroughly enjoy everything I sent. I hope you like the T-shirt as much as I did when I saw it! I am trying to find a way to tie it into a motivational saying, but we'll see what you think first...

We're sending lots of positive karma your way as always.

We love you!! -gail (& Ben)

susank said...

Hi Cathi,

You are an inspiration over and over. Not that you haven't ALWAYS been one. 1.8 miles! I'm getting over to the KFC (Kirmayer Fitness Center at KUMC where I work out) as soon as possible to do my part. I'll be thinking of you!

You ARE "The Force."

Susan

Hey, I just figured out that I already had a Google acct AND I found the scrap of paper with my pw! Woohoo!

ChuckJanice said...

Cathi,
I'm grounded--by a five-year-old with a virus that his mom told me about AFTER she put him in my arms--sure enough, he was contagious. So email is all I can do for several days.
So glad Conor is there!
The HLA typing is underway, you are kicking leukemic cell butt for your part, and your fan club is keeping the ethernet glowing. Sounds like an optimal setup, given the circumstances. You are covered in prayers from Southeast Kansas. I love you sister--see you ASAP! Janice

Mags said...

Good early afternoon! It was so great to see you last night! You do look very very well...I am so impressed with your multitasking, breathing exercises, rosy cheeks, cheerful attitude, Captain Cathi, and the ever wise, full of good words and logic Auntie Cathi!

After witnessing the 1.8 miles on the bike (I might add that this was all in a mere 12 minutes...) I have decided that a yellow jersey is just not appropriate... She had on her purple KState pullover and it was definitely the shirt of champions!

Love you-
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathi: I am finishing my packing to leave for Packard. We've got our national tour permit and everyone seems to be ready to go. I am going along to provide two deep leadership to get them to Packard and then the base will provide the necessary female advisor for the week. I may stay for a day or two once we get to the Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base, and I will see if they are doing something fun on the first day like white water rafting on the Arkansas River or if it is the backpack and summit the 14er day for Mt Shavano. I think I can pass on that one. I don't like backpacking at altitude that much. The crew did Mt. Ouray which is 13,996' a few years ago and once is enough on some things. I brought my biking shorts with the padded rear in case they are needed :-) Sounds like you will need them as much biking as you are doing. Keep up the good work! This is just another challenge to conquer. We will be thinking of you!

Bobanne

Anonymous said...

aha! biking shorts! I never thought of it. I have some brand new ones that I never used because I couldn't pedal a bicycle in colorado. I did horse back riding instead. Of all the aches and pains I had after I was in colorado, saddle sores were not part of it.
Liz, thanks for the reminder of the red white & blues....that was a fun year at winfield.
good luck to Crew 2091. I'm with you in spirit.
Cathi

Anonymous said...

testing