Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wed, 7.16 - We have Pictures! And Donation Requests

As promised in the title, we now have some pictures. Here's a shot of the whiteboard I alluded to at one point. You can see the Elvis clock, some cards, and pictures.


First things first, the medical stuff.
WBC: 0.8. This means her suceptibility to illness / infection is HUGE. More details on that later.
Hemoglobin: 7.0. The target is 7.5 so we're getting there.

A question was asked about what's normal. Well the 'normal' WBC for a female according to some quick research is 12 - 16 for a female. I did see something that said 14, but I think that gives everyone a magnitude of how high the 77 was. It should also make it clear just how suceptible she will be at 0.

Other Updates



Mom slept better than she has since she got in as you can tell in this picture - definitely a good thing b/c she needs her rest. They did a CT on her chest as she's been weezing a little more. But there's no more coughing up of blood. They gave her some more red blood yesterday and this morning so I would expect the Hemoglobin to go up tomorrow.

She's doing very well, but is not happy about the visitor restrictions. Yesterday there were too many visitors. She now has her guest agenda and Walt is trying to finish the family agenda and manage it. This does unfortunately include visitors flying in. We'll figure out the time to get those coming into KC into see Mom. Of course Mom still wants control of it, but the nurses insisted on 3 close friends and family only. No sniffling noses allowed - not even allergies. They haven't said anything about 'Haz Mat' suits, but seems to be only a matter of time. The good news is Walt's setting up a web cam! Now we'll need a social coordinator for that.
Today brought more gifts and cards. They all make her smile even after they're sanitized with wipes. One particular item of note were the 'Captain Cathi' glasses from Sarah Reichling (Reinkemeyer)! See them being modeled below.

There was also a visit from the transplant coordinator with tons of information. Mom's still processing. Grandma and Walt were there, and received donor information to share (see below for a tidbit) along with a checkout sheet for going home. We'll be sanitizing the house in great detail to ensure it's as close to the hospital ward she's currently in.

Bone Marrow Transplant Advocacy

Mom needs a bone marrow transplant. This promises to not be the only communication advocating the system (did you really think in a family of approximately 50 this is the only time you'd hear it!), but it is the first promotion.
The process to become a donor is a very simple test kit that is four swabs to the mouth to collect. There is a cost of $80 to do this. If there is a positive match then actual blood work needs to be done. Being a donor is typically an outpatient, non-invasive procedure. No you do not even get to have breakfast in bed! What we really advocate is...

If a person wants to become a donor in the national registry then they can contact Marrow.org to find more information. For us as a family, we are not interested in those who only want to be tested to see if they match for Mom. As a family we are going through a little too much emotional excitement and can't imagine anyone being a donor and not offering it to those who are having the same stress we are. We are not alone in this and want to help others as well as our beloved Mom / Daughter / Sister / Friend. And if you are a minority, the testing is all free as they really need Minority bone marrow.

Regular Blood Donations

She's using lots of blood and blood platelets. So you can help by donating blood and blood platelets. Again, be sure the blood and platelets go into the public bank and not just for Mom. I know these are not major things that are guaranteed to have a direct impact on Cathi, but they are little things that can be done to help and you can know that someone out there is using it. Cathi is taking her fair share of blood and platelets, we can help replenish it.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How great to see you! And looking mighty fine too! Oops, just spilt my morning cup of tea on the keyboard. if i start typing gibberish you'll know why.

Well the British summer came and went. We had two lovely days and on the second I actually managed to sit in a friend's hot tub with a glass of wine. It reminded me of us sitting in Shane & Charlene's tub after Conor & Annie's wedding!

Keep that WBC count dropping - isn't that some kind of boxing title? Anyways, keep fighting kiddo and i hope you have a comfortable day.

love Janet xx

Mags said...

Good morning! The pictures are great! I loved seeing them! The web cam will be loads of fun :)

Great to see the WBC dropping and the Hemoglobin rising!

If there anymore bike rides, we are going to need pictures of that though so we can fit you properly for your yellow jersey!

Love-
Margaret

Mags said...

PS--Excellent job Janet on being the first to post!

Robbie Stanley said...

Good Morning! East Coast checking in. The photos are wonderful, thank you. And, as always, thanks for the medical information. I'm flying out on August 9 and leaving August 13, so please put me on the calendar. I'll be squirting purell at everything on the plane and in the airports!
Here's to a good day!
Love,
Robbie

mari said...

The pictures are great. Greetings from Wichita. Sitting here with the granddogs enjoying my last cup of coffee.
Waving pom poms:
You can DO IT
We can help
Go Cathi Go Cathi
Much love, Mari and mari
andrea,jackson,matthew,walker,ellie(the escape artist)louie(now known as the pisser)

Unknown said...

Good morning, David and I are at Glacier National Park. It is really beautiful. Put it on your "places to go" list. I will be back and ready to visit on Monday. I don't go back to teach until Aug. 6 and will be there for you. Keep up the good fight. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, Sandra

gail said...

Using the donor information that Conor posted, I sent out e-mails to everyone in my distribution list that I thought would be even remotely interested in getting "typed."

I have been amazed at the numbers of responses already this morning from people who are already in the donor bank and have provided their ID #s to me, just in case.

Cathi - please know that there are people all over the world stepping up to do whatever they can to help.

And, after we all get through this ordeal with you, I need your creative decorating advice in my family room (yet again). It is time for the orange wall to be a different color. HELP! ;D LOL.

I sure hope Walt is able to shoehorn me into the schedule when I'm there. I'm bringing my scrubbing clothes to help at the house. I know there will be a need for supervising! (grin)

Sarah said...

Love the Captian Cathi glasses!! They look better than I imagined.

I am excited about the web cam. Does that mean you will have video chat? If so, let me know. I have that capability and Mom would love to get to chat with you.

love you
Sarah

Anonymous said...

a comment from Cathi. I just want everyone to know how much I look forward to the posts out here. and how good it feels to have a large cheerleading section.
Yesterday they called in a pulmonology team. Today the team came in to say good bye "we probably won't see you again." Damn I'm good. That was about the most fun conversation I've had. I miss guests but I am busy with things like walking, breathing exercises, bicycling and preventive measures for chemo side effects. I appreciate every single card, email and chocolate bar.
Cathi

Anonymous said...

ok, the glasses are cute, but what I really want to know after looking at the picture is if that chair in the corner looks as comfy as it appears in the picture. OMG! Where can I get one of those???

I read from your post tonight as realized that of all my cousins I can probably hear you in my head the clearest when I read your comments. I love that! I love the fact that I can read your typed words and actually hear your voice speaking in my head. Yeah, just to clarify --I am not "hearing things". Unfortunately, it just reminds me of how much I miss you and your family! Thank you for always making our "distance" not feel so distant when we visited.

Love always,

Cheryl