Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday, 7.14 Wrap-up

To summarize today, it was 'pick day'. We continued to get the pick aligned properly, X-Ray to confirm, then Mom started getting platelets early this evening. Mom tried to walk down the hall with Sally before the pick line came out a bit. Every time that happens we have to get the dressing cleaned up (often times changing clothes too).

The highlight of the day may have come this morning from Dr. Ganguly. Walt got into a funny conversation in which the doctor talked about having a hike on a saddleback mountain in Washington (to be fair - we're assuming it wasn't a huge hike) with some colleagues. He said when he got to the top he realized he was the only one with a tie on. That pretty much summarizes Ganguly!

We also started bringing in some food from the outside today. We got the idea as there's a gentleman tending to a loved one down the hall who we have affectionately dubbed 'Mr. Food'. You literally never see the guy without McDonald's, Starbucks, or some other local eatery in toe. Apparently it's ok if we go get it from area restaurants and home. She got a Mr. Goodcents sub from Walt for lunch, and homemade beef soup from Grandma for dinner. The homemade soup was a real hit and I'm sure tasted even better coming from Grandma. That made the breakfast error of her omelette coming loaded with cheese a distant memory. Her neighbor to the south, Dayla, brought a basket of goodies for visitors. Unfortunately Mom's temporary crown came off while munching on some Tropical Mike and Ike's. So we're going to get in touch with the dentist to see about gluing this back down and ensuring we're safe from potential infection there.

She also talked to an AML survivor who had a donor network marrow transplant, which did a lot for her. It's one of those things where none of us have a 'roadmap' (thankfully the staff @ KU Med has seen all of this before and has been amazing). So when you hear there are people that have successfully gone through it, it's an amazing reminder of what we're working towards.

Afternoon visitors included: Terry Hudson, Sally Beal, Peggy Morgan, and Kurt Parrett. I also omitted earlier that Trish (sister), Walt, Grandma and Grandpa were all here. Kurt's going to be helping out with the business including some of the billing. Walt's staying tonight with her as the comfort Mark provided during the middle of the night pick line incident was very comforting.

One thing Mari started here at the house that everyone will appreciate as 'Mom' is a dog log. That's right. We now have a calendar to log when Hayward and Daisy get fed and walked. It's good stuff to ensure they're in good hands.

Tomorrow Annie and I will be heading back to Chicago, and I'll be back Friday while Mark will be back early next week. He left today. So I'm going to do my best to ensure this blog continues being updated b/c Mom sees comments like Janet and Robbie having a 'virtual cocktail' and loves to see it. You all know how much she values your relationship with her, and now more than ever it keeps her spirits high. They mean a ton.

Before I go, a brief note to Mom. Mom, we are all here for you to take care of things so you can focus. Continue as you have to take things not just one day at a time but one task at a time. By looking at the task immediately in front of you and knowing that the staff has the overall plan in-place, you will be giving your best every single day. That's all you can do.

WE ALL LOVE YOU.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Morning Dear
Its a grey muggy day in downtown Haywards Heath - hope the sun's out in KC.

Good to hear Kurt's helping out with NAC. You just concentrate on keeping that pick in!

Will check in later. Love you. Janet xx

gail said...

I'm used to exchanging e-mails with you at this ungodly (for me) hour of the morning.

I just bought my ticket to KC. I will be there Saturday 7/26 and back to Denver on 7/29. I am MORE than happy to do overnights with you while I'm there.

I still want to know whether or not they will allow nail polish in your room??

If you need any help with the business, let me know. I think I still have access to your server (maybe - scary thought, eh??)

Ben sends his love too. And there are a lot of people I know across the world thru the 'net that are sending prayers your way as well.

Love you so much.

-g

Mags said...

Good morning! I hope your night was rather uneventful last night, but I guess we'll wait and see what the blog has to say about that! Interviews today and tomorrow and then I'll be headed to KC. Thinking of you lots!!! Love - Margaret

Mags said...

PS--My friends had an update blog last fall like this and it was always a race to see who made the first comment...Janet, I think you are going to win everytime!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Cathi, your blog is wonderful. Its great to get updated news in this fashion. Just want you to know that the Oklahoma Maynards have you in their prayers. We expect God to do wonders in your life. Take care and God Bless.
Steve Maynard

brianmargaret said...

Dear Cathi,
Janet has emailed us your "blogspot" and we would like to add our prayers to the many loving messages which are flowing your way.

All our love, Janet's Mum & Dad.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathi,

I just found out about your exciting weekend - do you ever do things in a small way??? ;) I am sending positive thoughts and prayers. (Do you feel them yet?) You are an incredible woman who is strong in so many ways. I will keep up the praying, you keep up the fighting.

We love you and God Bless!
Cheryl, Darin, Maddie & Nolan Freeman

Robbie Stanley said...

Hey there,
Just checking out for the evening, thinking of you. I had fun today shopping for some goodies to send you; I'll try to get them in the mail tomorrow. And yes, there is some chocolate included -- I hope it doesn't melt on the way out. Good luck tonight.
Love and hugs,
Robbie

Rhonda, DJ, Winston and David said...

Ditto on the good luck tonight. Will be thinking good "pick" you up thoughts! Sweet dreams.

Love, Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Cathi and family,

Keeping you in my thoughts tonight. I'm still on the road (Minneapolis) but heading home to Kansas tomorrow.

The updates are much appreciated although I wish I understood what some of the numbers mean. What are "good" blood counts? I want to be ready to cheer as the numbers improve. Thinking positive thoughts. You are surrounded with love even if from afar.

Love, Donna