Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tues, 7.15

From what I understand today started a little low and trended up. We like trending up! Last night was a tough one with lots of hacking. Fortunately it's had great results.

WBC: 1600...yes - that's 75,400 down from just 4+ days ago. That's what we want while we also know that 0 will be a low point physically and mentally for Mom (not to mention making her even more suceptible to any kind of infection, illness).
RBC: 6800

So once Mom awoke for good today, they took her down to X-Ray to finally get this damn pick line resolved. They did have positive results so the day was already getting better.

Ganguly was extremely excited about the white blood cell count going down and the way Mom's lungs sounded through the stethoscope. What didn't make him happy were the purple K-State powercat knickers Mom had on. He put his hand on her leg and said, 'hmmm - these are not good to wear here.' That got almost as big of a laugh as when they went to weigh her. Her bed is set-up to weigh her, and it read 93 pounds... While we don't know what her weight will be as she goes though all this, I can assure you she's not 93 pounds! All in all, a short visit from Ganguly equals a positive one. We like those.

A scout friend, Brant Tidwell, came in today and remarked that he wasn't sure if there'd be room in 4102 for him. Apparently the entire book was filled with 4102 entries in the room column! Such a great problem to have. However the nurses did raise a flag on us. I guess that was bound to happen at some point. So the plan is this:

Contact Peggy Morgan via her home #: (913) 383-2335 before visiting. Peggy has graciously offered to help schedule the flow of visitors. I think we all recognize the need for her to rest up and conserve energy for the internal fight.

She received another phone call from a scout friend and Bone Marrow Transplant survivor who had one several years ago and has remianed very active. That was a great lift for her as we often joked that even with the anemia Mom at less than 100% was better than most of us at 100%. So to see someone who's survived the transplant and remained active was awesome.

Something I've been asked to communicate more of is how she looks and feels. Overall she looks pretty darn good and Robin (thus far she's been the weekday nurse and we REALLY like her - although all of them are great) has commented on her tremendous attitude. She looks just like the Mom / Cathi you'd see with a t-shirt and knickers around the house. Carla will be at the hospital soon to cut her hair shorter before shaving it later, making it more manageable when it begins to fall out. We're all very proud of her for the attitude she's maintained. Make no mistake, there are tough times. But that's what this blog and your comments are for!

One particular highlight today was Mom exercised on the stationary bike for a full mile. She told me about this, and I have to say it made me think of the Tour de France or something where she was the lead rider for her team and had coaching all around. Mom initially was going to ride for 5 minutes. Then Robin stopped by and said, 'why don't you just do 10 minutes.' Well once then 10 minutes was nearing, Peggy said, 'just finish the mile.' SHE DID. How great is that??? It reminded me of the following story that to me epitomizes Mom and I think you'll all get a kick out of it.

So a few weeks ago Mom went to scout camp and realized she was getting out of breathe walking from the car to the tent. In hindsight, that was likely a hint of the leukemia. However, what did Mom do??? She decided she was out of shape and needed to walk it more. That's the Mom / Cathi we all know and love!

There are also some pictures online for those interested of her trip to Colorado in early June. She did a zip line across the Arkansas River among other outdoor activities. Pictures can be viewed via the following link and data entry information:

http://whitewaterphotography.com/photos,listeventphotos.html&p=7
Date: 6/21/08, Time: 10 AM, Photos: 202854, 202857, 202933, 20310

11 comments:

Mags said...

A bike ride, new pick line, and shower...what an eventful day for you Cathi! Love the KState knickers :) Hope the spirits keep up and the white blood cells continue to go down!

Love-
Mags

Unknown said...

mom,

i'm sorry we didn't get to talk longer today. I definitely thought all day about you. I got the corner posts and middle supports today...19 of them! luke's truck was a little weighed down to say the least. The ground is the hardest i've ever dealt with building fence, i'm hoping to get done by monday. I'll do better to keep in touch. I miss you tremendously. You'll never know how much I love you and you mean to me.
god bless,
Mark

gail said...

To see Cathi on the zipline:
http://whitewaterphotography.com/photos,listeventphotos.html&p=7

Then:
Cathi's zipline session was June 21, 2008. (pick that date in the drop down menus).

Then click on the Captain 1 (the top of the two photo links).

Then click on Page 8. Cathi is photo #203010

Looks like FUN!

gail said...

So, the link doesn't look like it is working the way I posted it. Just use the link that Conor provided in the original e-mail! :)

-gail

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi - hope you got a 'yellow jersey' to wear for coming first in your own Tour de France :)

And I hope you had a better night's sleep now the pick's been sorted.

I'll try to keep up the First Post of Day, Margaret, but I've been a bit slow this morning!

BTW Joan's been in Toronto since Sunday for a sales conference so I've been sending updates to her Blackberry. We both send you HUGE hugs.
love Janet x x

Robbie Stanley said...

Hey there,
Hope you had a good night. Great post on the blog yesterday, with all the stories, information and good numbers! I'll email soon re visit.
Love, Robbie

Anonymous said...

Great news today. Once the pick line is sorted out, we can call you Cathi Armstrong? Hope today is another good day. Steve Maynard

Sara Beth said...

Knickers, knickers, I love Knickers. Cathi, you looked great yesterday. The decor in your room is quite lovely. Brad nurse/dr? who brought you the breathing toy wasn't bad on the eyes either. I think I'm going to start wearing knickers myself, I had no idea how cool they really were. Love and Junk, Sara

Anonymous said...

Cathi, can't say that I don't agree with the doc about the knickers! Jake sure misses seeing you, I explained where you were and he said he sure hopes you come home soon and feel better. We sure miss your smiling face and waves here on Craig!! Feel better, we're all thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Are we talking about knickers as in undies? Just checking because I've used that word when visiting the US before and people got the giggles! Cathi - you often have to translate for me don't you?!?

Anyways, just thought you'd like to hear the latest news from the Tour de France. A rider has been thrown out of the race for taking, get this, a Blood Boosting Drug. Really! So Cathi mate, I'm sorry you're going to have to give the yellow jersey back...stick to the knickers :)

Lots of love Janet xx

krajala said...

Cathi,
I hope the nurses and doctors are treating you well-Iknow your a KSU fan, but as a KU alumni let me know. If they aren't I'll decrease my alumni gift for you. We miss you and are praying for you in the Northern Tier District. I will come a 'nockin this fall when its time to put the iron chef contest together again; but I don't think I'll be a judge this year! yuk!