Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tues, 7.29 - Progress

There was progress today - for mom but not my blogging. I had this whole thing written out then somehow deleted it. So here goes round 2. Hopefully it's as good as the first.

It seems like the good days are generally preceded by good sleep at night. So for those of you saying you don't need more sleep, think again! ;) The fever seems to peak at night (and is a little elevated tonight as I type this), but they put ice packs underneath her arms to enable her to get some rest between all the usual activity.

Ganguly came in early this morning and was pleased with the progress she's made then repeated those sentiments this afternoon. The main progress is clearing of the lungs. I want to be careful to say that it's not necessarily the pneumonia as much as additional clearing. That's still great b/c if we can clear the lungs it will improve the blood oxygen level some more. And that will get to the follow-up bone marrow biopsy we want to have.

If we can get that done and the confirm the Leukemia's gone, it will give us additional treatment options such as GCSF. GCSF promotes the production of WBCs. That's why the Leukemia needs to be eliminated - no reason to speculate that it's gone and regrow some bad guys. The WBCs were at 0.4 today. Let's get these guys growing again! I told her we need them to go forth and multiply. She loved some of the cheers today on the blog I read to her.

She has improved to the point where they are looking to bring in physical therapists to start stretching and exercising her legs in bed, and potentially even standing the bed up and working on getting her out of bed soon. She is very excited about the prospects of that, and I assured her that the Cathi Armstrong bike work she did previously has most definitely better prepared her for these lung issues.

The improvement was enough that she asked for her laptop a couple of times today, and some of you may have even gotten emails from that time. But I snapped a couple of pictures that also show her newest hat - a tie-dyed one! She's got quite the hat selection already, and loves the different ones.


She wore the CPap mask the majority of the day, which is big because it is a lower 'horsepower' machine that her night nurse the past four nights (Kristi - we like her a lot) calls it a 'blower.' It was on for probably about 7 or 8 hours today at 60%. That's also positive since she needed 80% at one point yesterday with the higher-powered BiPap machine.

We also bought a whiteboard today for her to communicate with people who are not healthy enough to enter the room. They can now stand outside the glass door to write messages back and forth. Until it's in use though, I wrote 'Grow WBCs' in green on top and 'Beat Pneumonia' in black below it with a big red 'X' through it...Ghostbusters style. She pointed at it and said, 'that's the deal'.

Walt came in this afternoon when she had the CPap on and said, 'I thought you liked the BiPap better.' She joked she 'still had choices.' So while the BiPap may do a lot for her and ease her work a bit, she can talk better through the CPap and it does show stronger lungs. I had to laugh though when I told her if we can get the blood oxygen levels up then we'll get the biopsy, she was trying to have some ice. But Mom connected what I was saying and said, 'well let's putt the CPap back on and get going!' Definitely in control and clearly motivated to beat this.

The last story I wanted to tell today happened when Janice came in this afternoon. She was helping Mom and made a comment about when it's her turn to go through this (she also has myelodysplasia). Mom responded, 'We're going to get you a cure for this and change the way they treat this shit.' I had a huge smile, and it occurred to me just how powerful a messenger someone like Cathi Maynard will be for Leukemia treatment!

13 comments:

Jody Tucker said...

Cathi,

Hang in there.


Jody...

Anonymous said...

Cathi,
I check the blog everyday and am sending lots of positive juice and prayers for your full recovery.I am so relieved to see that you are beginning to move in a positive direction. I know it is a tough journey but you are one of the strongest women I know and I believe you will make it in record time.

More white Blood Cells- RAH!!!

Be Well,
oxox
Carla

Unknown said...

Good morning Cathi
Bah! I've now got guys beating me to pole position from the night before!!

Conor's last posting is very encouraging. I love to know you're in control, fighting hard and still making people laugh. Multi-talented at multi-tasking.

Keep concentrating on the WBC production unit - don't let them slack off for one minute. All those cheerleaders yesterday - fantastic!!

I'm taking god-daughter Amy to see Hamlet at Stratford upon Avon this evening. Her 21st birthday treat. But before you get too impressed at her cultural leanings...David Tennant (Dr Who - do you know him? he also played Casanova..) is the lead, with Patrick Stewart as Claudius. So it's more idol-power than Shakespeare driving this desire to go to the theatre! Of course, I won't enjoy it at all :)

So whilst I'm driving half way across southern England to fulfill a young woman's fantasy, I'd like you to keep busy with your WBCs and clear out those lungs of yours, Number One Girl on Tour.
love Janet xo
Guess that makes me Number Two :)

Robbie Stanley said...

Hey Cathi,

So many positive things in yesterday's post! Conor -- thanks for hanging in there and rewriting even if you felt like throwing the computer out the window.
Cathi, great to see the pics. You still look like you can take on the world. And nice room with big windows and views. And I take it as a good sign that you wanted your laptop yesterday.
I'm thinking of you today and will be hoping for more good news.
Love,
Robbie

Anonymous said...

Good morning troops,

Just wanted to send a message of love and hugs (air hugs) this morning. Keeping you in my prayers.

Love,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Check everyday! Wow what a battle you are winning. Captin Cathi is in control. Think of you hourly and sending hugs and prayers. Can't wait to make the trip to KC for a "coming out Party".
Love
Diane

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kansas,
It is great to hear that things are improving I know you can beat this I have never had any doubts. I love your hat, it is so you. I know my head sure gets cold at times and I have a small amount of fuzz of course it is all grey, can't wait till I can color it.
I forgot to tell you how much we enjoyed the WWI Museum, John of course was enthralled, as you can imagine. Janet was a good sport and went with us but as it turns out some of the displays had not been there when she was there the last time. As we walked through the display she kept saying she didn't remember seeing this or that. At the end of one display we asked and sure enough that part of the display had not been completed when she had been there before. It was a big rlief that her memory wasn't that bad.
The cat is glad I am home and has come into the bedroom every morning to wake me up so I will take him for a walk. I will have to send you a picture of Buddy on his leash, he is quite the character.
Well guess I had better get back to work, I am multi tasking this morning, I am sitting in on a con call as I type this. Tell Conor he is doing a great job with the blog and we all appreciate his updates and humor.

Love Ya
Third Girl on Tour

Patty Mahoney said...

Cathi,
I'm still reading my favorite soap oprera, and thinking and praying for your full recovery. I'm heading to Houston this week-end to give my sister a break and take my dad to MD Anderson. He is going through his second round of Chemo. I'll be checking on your progress daily. I'm sure glad to see that you are still in control and your spirits are good. I'll check in with Peggy when I return and see if she can squeeze me in your social calendar a night next week. You'll be walking around by then.
Hang in there and we'll talk soon.
As Carla said "I know it is a tough journey but you are one of the strongest women I know" also.
Love,
Patty

Marshall said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you. Things with work are going pretty well so far, but I miss your phone calls. :) You concentrate on getting better and I will concentrate on the customers...in the meantime though I am going to be very jealous of Janets trip to see The Doctor and Captain Picard. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathi,

Your WBC mantra does remind me of our litty Bluegrass fest ditty, as Gail mentioned. Something along the lines of big breath of good, blow out the bad. ...OK, that could be taken another way, which maybe fits the Winfield spirit even better. LOL! Anyway, I'm here breathing all day for ya, WBC in - lung stuff out, Whew!

And, you've convinced me to go to bed early tonight. Not that I need any arm twisting... ;o)
Nancy in VA

Anonymous said...

Cathi, What is the deal with a bone marrow biopsy? It is a walk in the park. I walked in Monday morning. dropped my drawars half way down my bum to a room full of women, while they felt me up looking for a bone to pick. Then they had to make a training exercise of it and get multiple opinions on where to poke me for some bone. A couple of shots, lots of pushing, some more pushing, then one more push for good measure, and it's all over. Great to see your health improving and lungs improve. Test results for my donor biopsy come in on Wednesday. Then I go back for a an overblown physical, next Monday. I hope I get the same nurses, they were really cute. Walt

gail said...

Cathi,

Walt made it to Denver this morning. We've had lunch & a beer (er, beers). I dropped him off at his hotel and now I am laughing hysterically at Walt's blog post - not only did he write it out for all to read, but he also had to demonstrate for Ben and me the procedure of dropping drawers & pushing! I'm holding my sides holding them in laughing so hard. :D

Ben has just gone through my sock drawer & pulled out all the pairs that he thinks will make him a stud in Israel (imagine: "hey, baby, I'm wearing my mom's socks, I'm so cool"). oh dear.

Ben is just about set to go. His laundry is in the dryer. His international satellite cell phone arrived today. His passport is current. He has a return ticket. And he has my credit card (which he knows I will terminate if he takes the entire kibbutz out for drinks.)

JANET: many years ago my sister Nancy and I saw Patrick Stewart on Broadway in a 1-man show of "The Christmas Carol." Such an incredible actor. I hope you all enjoy the story in addition to the actors.

We repeat the mantra of W-B-C through the day. It sounds like the world has joined in the cheer - with excellent results.

We love you!!! (ps - the tie-dye makes you even more beautiful.)

love, gail & the ben kid

sarah jurcyk said...

Cathi,
I am so glad to hear you are getting better. We are all cheering for you. I am visualizing more wbc's and the clearing up of your pneumonia. John, Seth and Christopher are at Philmont. I am not whose lungs are more taxed right now--yours or John's. He could probably benefit from the bi-pap device! Wish you well, love, Sarah Jurcyk